The San Francisco Film Centre is located in the serenely beautiful and historic Presidio of San Francisco, once the oldest continuously operated military post in the nation and now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and the National Park Service. Built in 1938 as barracks, housing 250 enlisted men and officers, the impressive Mission style facility was funded by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It was later converted to house the headquarters for the 6th Army.
In 2000, the San Francisco Film Centre completed a historic renovation of the 67,000 square foot former 6th Army Headquarters Building under the leadership of its founder, George Gund III whose vision was to create a collaborative workplace for innovative partnerships to foster the growth of film and media as an art form.
The San Francisco Film Centre offers the public the following facilities:
- The Palm Room, a sophisticated event space with an adjoining veranda, available for corporate or private receptions, meetings, fundraisers, parties, film production and wedding ceremonies/receptions.
- A state-of-the-art Screening Room for viewing film, video and DVD.
- The Presidio Palms Café, offering delicious breakfasts and lunches on weekdays.
For more on the history of the Presidio, please visit www.presidio.gov.